"The Unreality of Time"

 Before reading McTaggart's article about "The Unreality of Time" I had not really given much though the the concept on time. I have however had a conversation with a few of my friends before about who came up with the concept of time and how they decided when the hours would start and what hour to begin on. I think that the concept of time is really interesting once you begin to dive deep into the topic of it and I believe that we all take time for granted and the fact that it has shaped our lives. It has constructed our days and the hours of which we function, our society has become so obsessed with time that we have allowed for it to cause us stress but also motivation. It caused us stress when we are late or we are not looking forward to doing an activity at a certain time, but it also motivates us to work hard as time has constructed the hours in which we work and then the hours we have to relax and eat. After reading the article I found myself very amazed by McTaggart's breakdown of time itself and how deeply he dove into the actual conception of time.

Personally, I did not agree with any of the series that McTaggart brought up, they are very sophisticated and accurate probability's of the meaning of time but I do not like to think of time in this aspect. For me, I like to think of time as a real life object that has given our society structure and simplicity. I do not know who made up the concept of time and I find myself struggling to wrap my head around all of the what ifs of time. "The Unreality of Time" to McTaggart means that the theory of the A and B series is not plausible because time is changing and with this change the series of positions of A and B would not support his theory. McTaggart's conclusion is that reality is is not temporal at all. 

Comments

  1. Hi Grace.
    I agree that time is definitely put in place and kept track of as a means to give societies order and some form of structure. For me, it's easier to identify it as something that takes us from moment to moment. I think sometimes it's easier for people to conceptualize time as something that flows from point A, to point B, to point C and then so on, because then it becomes easier to process and understand what time actually is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment