Energy Policy and the Further Future: The Identity Problem

 Personally I do not like to think about the "what ifs" of life and the future because I believe that everyone was put here for a reason and has a purpose so I know that If one thing changed it would impact the entirety life around it, but I think that it can be dangerous to think like this. Thinking about what could have been placed differently that wouldn't have caused something to happen does no good for the present time that you are in. However, after reading the article "Energy Policy and the Further Future: The Identity Problem", it made me think about the "what ifs" and I found it to be very interesting. The point that it makes about choosing between two policies and one causing harm to future people can tell a lot about someone with how they answer this question. I think that there is no real "right" answer but that this bring a good point to ponder over and that is, would it be bad if there were no future people? For whom and Why? 

    I think that it would be very detrimental to society if there were no future people. Future people are what the society has to look for and the fact that there are generations after generations brings new life and structure to the world. I think that there would be no point in society trying to function knowing that there would be nothing to there work in the future. Having something to work towards is key to living, when Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone I don't think he was intending for it to just be used in his generation but he invented something that could be used for thousands of years after him. The same theory applies to scientists and doctors. Do you think that they would spend all these years on making medicines and huge medical advancements when their would be no future people for them to have an impact on? I do not think that we would have as many inventions and breakthroughs if there was no future people.

Comments

  1. Hi Grace,
    I understand your point about technology and inventions and how they never would have existed without people. On the other hand, people also have caused great harm to the planet. A new thought came to my mind while reading your post – could we possibly create technology to reverse many "bad" things we may have done? Could that be worth holding out for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grace,

    I also agree with you that future people are absolutely essential for humanity. I always think how people of the past were once people of the future. The people of the past have done some really remarkable things for us over the last hundred for fo say. I think the advancements in medicine are a prime examples of future future people have made humanity for the future generations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment